Thursday, May 15, 2008

What is it that really matters?

The prev entry on the differently abled reminded me of my interactions with Muttu sir. He was the accountant at the greeting cards section of the Spastics Society of Northern India(SSNI), Delhi. I used to go to SSNI often while I was at NSIT. Whenever I would meet Muttu sir, I would have a decent conversation with him. The prev entry reminded me of him as Sir was differently abled and some of his movements also used to take time. But there was something even in that slowness. Something that helps me not to over emphasize speed.
Shalu shared something recently that taught me not to over emphasize efficiency. As an occupational therapist based in London, she is seeing a 100% disabled child these days. There are 20 professionals who see that child. The parents have some limitations of their own and in the eyes of some professionals are not doing the best job. But Shalu feels there is something that the parents have which the professionals/system can do with more of - humanness. There were the "Fountainhead" days in my life when it was all about my intellect/rationality. But as I moved on the relevance of the other aspect i.e. spirit/faith began to rub on me. And, now I feel maybe it's not this or that, it's both. Have you seen "I am Sam"? Very relevant to what I am talking about. Something on the lines of "Forrestgump".

No comments: